Cleaning the gutters is essential to any homeowner. Like most chores around the house, it’s not particularly thrilling and often gets over looked.
Sunburst Window Cleaning would like to express some tips and benefits of gutter cleaning.
Benefits of Gutter Cleaning
1. Cleaning Extends the Life of Gutters & Roofs – The purpose of your gutters is to expel the water or snow from draining off your roof. If they become clogged, the gutters cannot fulfill their job, exposing your roof to pressure and moisture rot. Clogged leaves, twigs, dirt and other debris can contribute to rust deterioration on your gutters. This leads to needing early gutter replacements. If the water becomes frozen within the gutter, not only could it cause damage to the gutter, but roof and structural damage as well. Cleaning the gutters a minimum of once a year (after all the leaves fall), will extend the life of your gutters and roof.
2. Gutter Cleaning Keeps Pests Away & Mold at Bay – With the continuous collecting of refuse, leaves, sticks and other debris, little critters enjoy making nests in gutters. Clogged gutters, with all of these contributing factors, added with any kind of moisture breeds mold. Mold slowly spreads and causes irreversible damage. Keeping the gutter cleaned and maintained keeps critters out and mold away.
Tips for Cleaning Gutters
1. Remove the bulk of the debris such as leaves, sticks, mud, critter’s nests etc.
2. On top of your ladder, hose down the gutter and down spout. (You can generally find a gutter cleaner attachment for your hose at a home improvement store.)
3. If water doesn’t freely drain from the down spout, there is a clog that will need to be cleared.
– Inspect your gutters of any repairs or needed replacements. Hangers sometimes will fall and will need to be replaced. Here’s how to replace the hangers:
First, install a screw and ferrule hangers by marking their placement on the gutter. Drill the holes in the gutter lip and fascia, then you need to drive the screw with a drill through the ferrule.
Next, build in the screw-in or hidden hangers, following the manufacturer’s directions. Most are generally attached through the back of the gutter and into the fascia board and then clipped to the front of the gutter.
If there isn’t fascia board, use roof hangers with straps, and be sure to follow the labels instructions. Common installation consists of attaching a hanger across the gutter channel, clipping a strap to the hanger, and then attaching the hanger under the shingles.
4. If any leaks were found, repair them. Continue below for steps on repairing leaks.
Repair on the seams: First you need to ensure the gutter lengths are buttoned up tightly together. Once tightened, run your gutter sealant on both sides of the joints.
Repair leaks on the end caps: Simply add some gutter sealant on the inside of the joint.
Repair holes in the gutters: Depending on whether your gutters are fiberglass or aluminum, you will need to find the appropriate product for each, and follow label’s directions.
Gutter Cleaning, Window Washing, Holiday & Event Light Hanging & Other Specialty Services in West Houston, Cypress, Katy, Spring Valley Village & Piney Point Village Texas.
For some, climbing a ladder is physically impossible. For those who lack the physical capability, don’t have the time or simply have a shortage of desire, call the professionals at Sunburst Window Cleaning & Holiday Lighting. Our experts can efficiently clean your gutters, among our many services.